League One / Balmoral Stadium / Attendance:
Sat 04 May 24 / 14:00

Cove Rangers




Edinburgh City



The team rounded off the season in style with a deserved victory over Edinburgh City, coming from behind after the visitors had snatched an early lead. Paul McGowan levelled midway through the half, and Mitch Megginson sent us in for the interval ahead, finishing off a fine move.

Kyle Connell sealed the victory late on from the penalty spot.

The manager made four changes for the game, captain Megginson, Connell, Mark Reynolds and Cameron Stewart all returning to the starting line-up. Josh Kerr, Will Gillingham and Sena dropped down to the bench, while Rumarn Burrell missed out altogether due to injury.

Edinburgh took the early initiative, going in front in the fourth minute when Zaid cut in from the right and found Findlay MARSHALL free in the box, the midfielder’s low angled shot flying past Demus and in at the back post.

We might have equalised soon after. Yule crossed from the right and Connell chested the ball down to set up Paul McGowan, but his twelve-yard shot was blocked.

Megginson and Scully then combined, and when the pass was chipped in towards McGowan, he controlled it before volleying goalwards, Adams making a great save to concede a corner. That was cleared, but we were to level in our next attack.

Connell took a quick throw to Scully, and when Connor returned it, Kyle whipped in a cross which Megginson headed down, Paul McGOWAN stealing in at the back post to score.

Megginson then fed McGowan in for another opportunity, Adams pushing his angled shot behind for a corner. Seconds later, Arron Darge played an excellent ball down the right and Yule cut it back from the bye-line, but Megginson could only hook his shot wide.

We did snatch the lead in the thirty-eighth minute. Paul McGowan ran at the City defence, laying the ball off to Connell who whipped an accurate delivery into the area. Mitch MEGGINSON took control and thrashed a low shot under the diving Adams.

It might have been three on the stroke of half-time when, after intense Cove pressure, Mark Reynolds hammered a shot off the underside of the bar. Unluckily for the central defender, the ball bounced back out.

Edinburgh had a couple of long range free-kicks early in the second half, Mitchell’s effort saved by Demus while Wilson’s flew past the far post.

After a Flatman error, Kyle Connell ran clear to unleash a powerful angled shot which Adams beat away, then minutes later, from a pinpoint Darge cross, the striker headed over from six yards. Megginson had an effort pushed behind and Doyle’s header had the keeper scrambling to save as the boys kept up the pressure.

Scully was next to try, his twenty yard drive pushed out by Quate only as far as Kyle Connell, who shot past, then Darge came close, his low effort whistling inches wide of the post.

The goal finally arrived with three minutes remaining. Josh Kerr fired a long-range pass over the top and when Kyle CONNELL reached it, he was bundled to the ground by Parker. The striker picked himself up and lashed the ball into the bottom corner.

It might have been four in the final minute when, after a flowing move, Darge crossed and Kerr met the ball first time, but diverted it wide.

COVE RANGERS (4-4-2): Demus; Doyle, Stewart, Reynolds, Jones; Yule (Kerr 68), Darge, McGowan, Scully; Megginson (Sena 85), Connell

Substitutes: Robertson, Gillingham

Goalscorers: McGowan (22), Megginson (38), Connell (pen 87)

Booked: Scully (54), Yule (58)

EDINBURGH CITY (4-4-2): Adams (Quate 69); Ewen, Flatman, Parker, Mitchell (Pitt 72); Zaid, Wilson, Faye, Marshall; McDonald (MacNamara 66), Sambou (Robertson 72)


Goalscorers: Marshall (4)

Booked: Flatman (84)

Referee: Gavin Duncan

Attendance: 506

Article Copyright © 2024. Permission to use quotations from this article online is only granted subject to appropriate source credit and to www.coverangersfc.com