League One / Meadowbank Stadium / Attendance:
Sat 02 Mar 24 / 15:00

Edinburgh City




Cove Rangers



The side recorded an important victory in Edinburgh, a spectacular Connor Scully effort in the first half and a Mitch Megginson header early in the second enough to claim a deserved three points.

With Mark Reynolds suffering from a slight calf injury, and Blair Yule being told to rest his troublesome ankle, Paul Hartley made two enforced changes from the win over Annan Athletic, Arron Darge and Josh Kerr returning to the starting line-up. Nick Suman, having missed the last two matches, was fit enough for a place on the bench.

We kicked-off, but it was the home side immediately on the front foot, Demus quickly off his line to gather the ball as Sambou gave chase just inside the box.

Cove hit back immediately and might have scored with just two minutes on the clock. Scully took possession on the halfway line and drove forward before playing the ball wide for Shiels. Matty’s cross was inviting, but Rumarn Burrell, rising at the far post, only just failed to make contact.

We came closer soon after, Fraser Fyvie taking possession from Megginson and cutting in from the left to unleash a wicked twenty-five yard shot which had Adams diving full length to push to safety.

A flurry of chances followed with Shiels having a deflected shot saved and Mitch Megginson also being denied by the keeper.  In between, Edinburgh had a big opportunity when we gave away possession and Zaid found Sambou in the box, but the striker could only slice his shot well wide.

The opening goal came in the fifteenth minute, and it was of the highest quality. Megginson won a corner on the left, and with the area packed, Fyvie rolled a low ball out to the edge of the box. Connor SCULLY caught it sweetly, his powerful curling strike crashing off the underside of the bar and into the net.

Cove continued to enjoy the bulk of the possession, but the home side might have equalised in freakish circumstances midway through the half. With Kerr battling the giant Faye for a high ball, it bounced into the path of Sena who played it first time high towards his own goal. Thankfully, with Demus scrambling back, it bounced wide of the left post. The resultant corner was half cleared, but only as far as Faye, Balint dealing comfortably with his eighteen yard shot.

Connor Scully then came within inches of doubling our advantage, and it would have been another top class goal. Winning possession thirty yards out, the midfielder rifled another superbly struck effort which looked to be arrowing into the top corner only for Adams to get his fingertips to the ball, diverting it on to the crossbar and over.

Kelsey Ewen had been causing us issues, overlapping down the Edinburgh right, and in the twenty-eighth minute he waltzed past four challenges and into the box. His shot however lacked power, and Demus made a comfortable save.

We again came close to making it two-nil soon after. Burrell got in behind down the right, and chipped his delivery across goal. Fyvie took possession and rolled the ball back to Megginson who made space and shot powerfully, Parker rushing out to block his effort.

It should certainly have been two in our next attack. Mitch Megginson raced clear on the left and delivered into the box. His cross deflected off Flatman’s foot and fell perfectly to Burrell, but with the goal at his mercy, Rumarn shot too close to the keeper, allowing Adams to touch it behind.

We had one final opportunity in the first half. Megginson won a free-kick wide on the right which Fraser Fyvie swung in, but Burrell was able only to head over.

There was another big opening for Rumarn seconds after the restart when the striker cashed-in on defensive uncertainty, but his angled shot was straight at Adams.

The second finally came five minutes into the half. Arron Darge did well to hold off a challenge then passed down the line to Doyle. The full-back took possession and sent in an inch-perfect delivery, Mitch MEGGINSON applying the final touch with an accurate downward header for his tenth goal of the season.

Will Gillingham picked up the game’s first booking, adjudged to have fouled Sambou twenty-five yards out. Liam Parker stepped up to take the free-kick, shooting powerfully over the wall, but Balint Demus was alert, diving to his left to make a fine save.

Edinburgh came close again seconds later, the impressive Ewen driving to the byeline before crossing low, and with Doyle and Sambou both trying to make contact, the ball bounced up into the hands of the keeper.

Paul Hartley made his first substitution midway through the half, Kyle Connell replacing Burrell, but it was Edinburgh who created the next big chance, Zaid shooting high over the bar from fifteen yards.

Darge then won a free-kick down the right, Parker booked for his challenge, and Fyvie curled in an excellent delivery. Connell rose highest, his header arcing inside the far post, but Adams was able to get across his line to gather the ball.

Cameron Stewart replaced Will Gillingham for the closing stages, and with eleven minutes remaining, Paul McGowan came on for Matty Shiels, Scully dropping to left-back.

Edinburgh were creating little at this stage, but Sambou disposed Stewart wide left and raced in on goal. The striker opened up his body, shaping to curl an effort to the far post, but Demus read his intention, diving to comfortably catch the ball.

It was to be the last real scare, the side seeing out an important victory, and recording our first clean sheet in the league since the win over Montrose in mid-November.

EDINBURGH CITY (4-4-2): Adams; Ewen, Flatman, Parker, Mitchell; Marshall (Fisher 82), Wilson (Mair 89), Faye (c), Zaid; Sambou, McDonald (McNamara 68)

Substitutes: Quate, Devine, Pitt,


Booked: Parker (74)

COVE RANGERS (4-4-2): Demus; Doyle, Gillingham (Stewart 72), Kerr, Shiels (McGowan 79); Darge, Sena, Fyvie, Scully; Burrell (Connell 66), Megginson (c)

Substitutes: Suman, Jones, Lawal

Goalscorers: Scully (15), Megginson (50)

Booked: Gillingham (58), Fyvie (90)

Referee: Lloyd Wilson


Article Copyright © 2024. Permission to use quotations from this article online is only granted subject to appropriate source credit and to www.coverangersfc.com